If you are a fighter and your forte is martial art mix, then you definitely need a lot of practice. You might have heard that it is practicing that helps you become perfect. Without training, you can’t stand a chance in front of your opponents who can easily knock you out in the first round. However, training for martial arts is not that easy because you have to have another partner with whom you can improve your moves, build your stamina and enhance your performance. This means training will mean actually fighting but there is one way you can train without a partner. This involves the use of a combat sports grappling dummy. This dummy is ideal for practicing your favorite combat moves which will help you become a professional in no time. Here are few benefits of using a combat sports dummy which will definitely convince you to own one:
1. Improves Your Combat Sports Skills
It helps you practice a lot of moves like arm triangles, armbars, triangle chokes, sweeps, leg locks and omo platas etc. this will help you improve these steps and become a professional in them. You would not have to face embarrassment in the battle ring because you have practiced enough.
2. You Can Practice Anywhere and Anytime
When you need to practice a real partner can be really picky about the venue of training or the timings so you have to coordinate and cooperate on a lot of things. This creates hurdles in training daily when both of you may not be able to find a suitable time to practice together. Whereas, on the other hand, using a dummy can help you do things your way. You do not have to keep on waiting for your partner only to find that your partner isn’t showing up. This will help you train anytime and anywhere you want without having to rely on anyone else.
3. No fear of hurting the partner
Playing combat sports is a tough job and even the practice sessions can have devastating results. You need to be very careful and tacky during practice sessions with humans to avoid hurting your partner whereas with the combat sports grappling dummy you can easily practice even the vicious moves without any fear of hurting your partner.
4. Relapse to Original Position
A major benefit of this grappling dummy is that you don’t have to set it back to its original position after every step.
Preparing one for martial arts and even if you are a fighter who wants to leave the ring as a winner; two or three hours training per day is not enough. A grappling dummy’s usage is the best way to enhance fighters, throwing, submission and grappling skills without going to the gym. But selecting the right grappling dummy is very important for one looking to improve his or her skills in martial arts, both in and out of the gym.
Since, there are several types of grappling dummies and each one of them is used for specific training purpose, it can be difficult for you to decide which dummy to go for. Before discussing the factors while buying a grappling dummy I would like to inform you about what a grappling dummy actually is and where it is used.
A grappling dummy is a training device designed to help anyone with a desire to hone his or her grappling, throwing, and submission skills when a human partner is not available to practice with. Fighters/boxers while practicing mixed martial arts (MMA), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), wrestling, judo, and other contact sports use it.
There are certain factors that one should consider carefully when buying a grappling dummy.
- Height: The best dummy is the one, which is similar to the height of the fighter. This will make it easier for the fighter to handle it and seems more to be realistic.
- Weight: It is very important for a fighter, who will be practicing, throwing and striking on the dummy to improve his or her moves to know what weight the dummy has. Heavier grappling dummies are used for striking and ground-and-pound tactics, while a lighter, limp dummy is ideal for practicing throws.
- Durability: For a longer use of the dummy durability should matter to a fighter. Fighters should prefer high quality materials dummy that has multiple rows of reliable stitching, and can handle frequent beatings.
- Flexibility: Flexibility is the most important feature in a grappling dummy. A grappling dummy with stiff limbs prevents it from being bent into submission, but one that is too flexible doesn’t allow enough resistance for a training experience that is realistic. Fighters should search for a dummy that has limbs that are able to return to their original position when released. When a dummy is placed in a position, it should have the ability to bend at the elbows and knees, while maintaining the structure of its arms and legs. This will create a wider submission range for various positions.
I for one can say these factors helped me in choosing the right dummy for my son who is a MMA enthusiast. If you are prepping yourself to purchase one then make sure to keep all these factors in mind and punch your way to health and fitness by selecting the right dummy.